The Government Printing Office 1861
Joint Resolution No. 25, James Buchanan (1791–1868)
The United States Government Printing Office (GPO) was established by Congress in June 1860 and commenced operations on March 4, 1861, with 350 workers. Since its establishment, GPO has occupied the corner of North Capitol and H Streets, and it has continued to use the most efficient and cost-effective manufacturing processes to deliver genuine and secure government papers and goods to the American people.
On June 23, 1860, President James Buchanan signed Joint Resolution No. 25 authorizing the establishment of the GPO. On the same day that President Abraham Lincoln was inaugurated, the agency opened its doors on March 4, 1861.